Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Giant Bicycle

            Today we visted the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world: Giant Bicycle.  The story of Giant’s origination is inspiring. The company began when a Taiwanese eel farmer, King Liu, had his entire farming business destroyed by a typhoon. It is out of that adversity that Liu decided to pursue a new venture. This opportunistic and productive mentality should be learned from, especially in today’s uncertain and unfavorable economic environment.  
            The most impressive aspect about Giant Bicycle is their rapid growth and development as a company. They started off manufacturing for Schwinn Bicycles, even managing to pick up the production slack when Schwinn’s Chicago plant workers went on strike in 1980. By 1985 Giant had successful branded Giant as a desirable and separate entity, and the market was now demanding Giant Bikes. In 1990 Giant was officially the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the world!
            I was impressed with Giant’s conscious and effective branding strategy. They view Giant as not only a bike company, but as a culture. They promote cycling as a lifestyle. Much of their marketing focuses on the activities, attitudes, and health benefits that biking facilitates as opposed to the bikes themselves.
            Consistent with many other Asian companies Giant Bicycle was adamant about being ‘green’ and utilized many environmentally friendly practices. Their vision, decision-making, and planning also seemed to be centered on long term goals, even as a detriment to short-run profits.

1 comment:



  1. My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete